The Bhagwat Geeta Saar is the essence of Shrimad Bhagwat Geeta, the song of the God that included the teachings of Lord Shri Krishna to Arjuna on the battlefield of Kurukshestra during the Mahabharata.
As Arjuna dropped his weapons upon seeing the plethora of relatives, friends and family members that he was to wage war against, Lord Krishna instructed him on what he was fighting for, reminded him of his dharma, his karma and ultimately provided him with true insight on the nature of things. His teachings were embodied in Shrimad Bhagwat Geeta (the song of the God). Bhagwat Geeta is a treasure of Hindu metaphysical teachings. What follows below is a short summary of these teachings, emphasizing what is important to understand.
Short version in Hindi (Roman Script):
jo hua vah acchhaa hua
jo ho rahaa hai vah acchhaa ho raha hai
jo hogaa, vah bhi acchhaa hoga
tumhaara kya gayaa jo tum rote ho?
tum kyaa laaye the, jo tumne kho diya?
tumne kya paidaa kiya, jo nashT ho gayaa?
tumne jo liya, yahiiN se liyaa;
jo diyaa, yahiiN par diyaa;
jo aaj tumhaaraa hai, kal kisi aur ka tha,
kal kisi aur ka hogaa….
parivartan hi sansaar ka niyam hai
Whatever happened, happened for the good
whatever is happening, is happening for the good
whatever will happen, will also happen for the good only.
what did you lose that you are lamenting about?
what did you bring with you that you have lost?
what did you produce (gave birth to) that got destroyed?
whatever you have, you received from here
whatever you gave, you gave it back here
what belongs to you today, belonged to someone else yesterday
and will belong to someone else tomorrow
Change is the law of the universe
Longer version In Hindi (Roman Script):
- kyoN vyarth chintaa karte ho? kis se vyarth Darte ho? kaun tumheiN maar saktaa hai? aatmaa na paida hoti hai, na marti hai
- jo hua, vah acchhaa hua, jo ho raha hai, vah acchhaa ho rahaa hai, jo hogaa, vah bhi acchhaa hi hoga. tum bhoot ka pashchaataap na karo, bhavishya kii chintaa na karo. vratmaan chal rahaa hai.
- tumhaaraa kyaa gayaa jo tum rote ho? tum kyaa laaye the jo tumne kho diyaa? tumne kyaa paidaa kiyaa thaa jo naash ho gayaa? na tum kuchh lekar aaye, jo liyaa yahiiN se liyaa, jo diyaa yahiiN par diyaa. jo liyaa isii (bhagwaan) se liyaa, jo diyaa isii ko diyaa. khaali haat aaye aur khaali haath chale. jo aaj tumhaaraa hai, kal aur kisi ka tha, parsoN kisii aur ka hoga.. tum ise apna samajh kar magn ho rahe ho, bas yahii prasannataa tumhaare dukhoN kaa kaaran hai
- parivartan sansaar ka niyam hai. jise tum mrityu samajhte ho, vahi to jeevan hai. ek kshan meiN tum karoRoN ke swaami ban jaate ho, doosre hi kshan meiN tum daridra ho jaate ho. mera-tera, chhoTaa-baRaa, apna-paraayaa, man se miTaa do, phir sab tumhaaraa hai, tum sab ke ho.
- na yah shareer tumhaaraa hai, na tum shareer ke ho. yah agnii, jal, vaayu, prithvi aakaash se banaa hai, aur isi meiN mil jaayega. parantu aatmaa sithar hai – phir tum kya ho?
- tum apne aapko bhagwaan ke arpit karo. yahi sab se uttam sahaaraa hai. jo iske sahaare ko jaanta hai, vah bhaya, chinta aur shok se sarvada mukt hai.
- jo kuchh bhi tu karta hai use bhagwaan ko arpan karta chal, aisa kar ne se sada jeevan-mukt ka aanand anubhav karega
- Why do you worry without a reason? Whom do you unnecessarily fear? Who can kill you? The soul is neither born, nor does it die.
- Whatever hapepend, happend for the good. Whatever is happening, is happening for the good, whatever will happen, will also happen for the good only. You should not regret the past, should not worry about the future. The Present is happening.
- What did you lose that you lament? What did you bring that you lost? What did you produce that got destroyed? You did not bring anything, whatever you have, you received from here, whatever you gave, you returned it back here. Whatever you took, you took from God, whatever you gave, you gave it back to him. You came empty handed and you will leave empty handed. What belongs to you today, belonged to someone else yesterday and will belong to someone else tomorrow. You are happy with the misunderstanding that it’s yours. This false happiness is the root cause of your sorrows.
- Change is the law of the universe. What you think of as death is actually life. In one instance, you can become a millionaire and in another, you can fall in poverty. Yours and mine, big and small, erase these ideas from your mind, then everything is yours and you belong to everyone.
- This body is not yours, neither are you of the body. The body is made of fire, water, air, earth and ether, and will disappear into these elements. The soul is permanent – so who and what are you?
- Dedicate your being to God. He is the one to be ultimately relied upon. Those who know of his support are forever free from fear, worry and sorrow.
- Whatever you do, dedicate it to God. By doing so, you will experience bliss that only freedom from life can bring.